Eastwood Park Reporter

Minot, North Dakota

Est. 1991

June 1993

Vol 3, No 6

Eastwood Park Homes On Tour In June

One and all are invited to the 1993 Annual Tour of Homes in Eastwood Park on June 12, 1993 from 1 pm to 5 pm.

Once again, this year, there will be four Eastwood Park homes on the Tour. The Tour homes are the Robert and Mary Janicki home, 702 2nd Avenue, the Dave and Pat Lehner home, 122 8th Street, the Glenn and Luella Nermyr home, 207 7th Street, and the Jack and Fern Watkins home, 216 9th Street. St. Peter's Orthodox Church will be open for the Tour and refreshments will be served in the basement of the Church.

Some new additions to the Tour this year will be the Shan and Kathleen Cunningham Garden as well as the local antique car club Model A and Model T cars that will be parked around the neighborhood. The time of the Tour has not changed from last year but the date has been moved to June so that more flowers can be in bloom.

Tickets can be obtained at the Tour homes on the day of the Tour and in advance at Artistry Hairstylists, D's of Minot, Dakota Antiques, Hair By George, Home Sweet Home and Just One Look. We hope to see you on June 12, 1993.

Cunningham Garden on 1993 Tour

Gardening is an ongoing process of growth and learning, of change and experiment. This small perennial garden reflects that process. Heritage perennials gathered from old gardens in the area, or in some cases, rescued from abandoned farmsteads grow in association with wildflowers native to this area. Plant and seed collecting trips to the north shores of the Great Lakes have lead to the acquisition of hardy ferns and other shade tolerant plants. Arctic and alpine wildflowers suitable to the Northern Great Plains may also be seen. The garden is open to the public. Stop and visit often; that is the real purpose of a garden.

Nermyr Home on 1993 Tour

In July, 1992, an article appeared in the Eastwood Park Reporter about the home of Glenn and Luella Nermyr, 207 7th Street SE. Rather than repeat that article, this story will highlight other aspects of the house. Sallie Terman, daughter of Anne and Harry Sorsky, shared her memories of living in the house.

The house at 207 7th Street is actually the second house that was located there. The first house was left in bad repair and when it was removed the lot became a catch all for rubbish in the neighborhood.

The Sorskys, who were from England, wanted to bring a bit of their home country to Minot. So they had an English Tudor home built for a cost between $7,000 and $9,000. Much work was done to transform the once dump of a lot into a lovely landscaped yard with all its trees, shrubs, vines and flowers in place.

Mrs. Sorsky had an eye for quality which the house reflects inside and out. Even today, the fireplace, hardwood floors, built-in bookcases and mohagany woodwork show the quality that Mrs. Sorsky sought.

The furnishings in the home were of the best quality as well. The Sorskys owned Goldbergs Furniture in Minot. On occasion, Mr. Sorsky would bring potential buyers right to his home if he did not have what they were looking for in the store. It was not uncommon for the furniture to be sold right out of the house.

The second floor housed Sallie's bedroom where she enjoyed watching the snow flakes dance in the light of the moon and street lights. The back bedroom was for the house girl who did different chores for the family. A bathroom was added in 1942 for Sallie. Sallie remembered that, as a child, she attempted to make a phone system out of a string and cups running from the bathroom and the sleeping porch at the Valker house next door with Mary Valker Janicki.

Sallie also remembers waiting for the mailman and each day, he would say ``not today,'' meaning that there was no letters for her that day. The fact was that her parents had a post office box so they didn't receive mail at their home.

Sallie has left the heart of Eastwood Park, but Eastwood Park has never left her heart.

Watkins Home on 1993 Tour

The Watkins home at 216 9th Street SE would be described as an American Four Square with inside Craftsman style touches. Downstairs are a large living room with fireplace, a dining room with a built-in hutch, a pantry and a large kitchen. On the second floor are four bedrooms and a bathroom.
One of the bedrooms has been combined with a former sleeping porch. All of the floors are hardwood and the downstairs woodwork is oak with brass hardware. The house is heated with hot water and radiators, many of whom have metal covers.

The 50 foot lot at the above address was bought by Eleanor R. Thompson on October 31, 1911 for $450.00. An inspection card in the electrical box at the side entrance gave July 6, 1914 as the date the present house was approved for service. Elizabeth D. Parker loaned Eleanor and Attorney Arthur M. Thompson $2,500.00 on August 6, 1914 which was due on November 15, 1918. On June 29, 1917, the Thompsons took out a mortgage for $2,500.00 from First International Bank, which was released September 28, 1917.

The Thompsons gave Alta Horth Fuller a warranty deed for the property on September 28, 1917 for $7,000.00. In turn, Alta Horth Fuller and Fay N. Fuller gave C.L. Holt a warranty deed on November 8, 1920 for $12,000.00. On January 3, 1922, C.L. and Amy R. Holt gave a warranty deed to Ellen Westlie for $10,000.00. Her husband, H.H. Westlie, owned Westlie Motor Co.

According to Mrs. Westlie, Mr. and Mrs. Thompson lived continuously in the house until the Westlies moved in the fall of 1921. The Westlie children, Gordon, Charles, James and June, grew up in the home. Their friends liked to play in the full attic; Jim had a `secret hiding place' there for his coin collection. Changes during their 43 years of residence included: the garage and cement driveway in back added in 1929 for $250.00, the back stairway to the kitchen was closed off and Youngstown metal cabinets were installed around 1940, a dog run was built on the south side of the garage. Their Weimaraner left scratches on the swinging door between the dining room and pantry. Ellen's hobby was gardening. She and a part-time gardener kept the 4 foot wide flowerbeds around the house and back yard a riot of color.

Jack and Fern Watkins moved into the home January 30, 1965. It was her birthday and the temperature was -30 degrees! Their son, Mark, and daughter, Beth, were in grade school at the time. Since woodworking is Jack's hobby, some of the first changes were: bookshelves across the south wall of the living room, a patio by the back door, a shower in the basement and a roof over the dog run. Their Springer Spaniel left his scratches on the living room window seat.

Minot's 1969 flood filled the basement with water; a current flowed just north of the house. The Watkins were out for 28 days and came back to repair the damage. Veterinary disinfectant killed the fungus in the basement, loads of black dirt built the lawn back up and the front sidewalk had to be replaced. The dog run where firewood was stored remained above the water. Neighbors with fireplaces used the wood to dry out their houses.

In 1982, the kitchen was enlarged to include a former back porch and entry and the metal cabinets were replaced by oak ones. At the same time, the outside of the house was covered with green steel siding and Jack built the redwood deck in back.

This has been a comfortable family home where parents, children and pets enjoyed life.

Eastwood Park Association Meeting Planned

The Eastwood Park Historic District Neighborhood Association will hold a meeting on Tuesday, June 15, 1993 at 7:30 pm at the home of Pete Hugret and Judith Howard, 300 9th Street SE.

The meeting is to discuss the results of the 1993 Tour of Homes and what projects the money should be earmarked for.

Another topic to be discussed at the meeting will be a possible fundrainser for the walking bridge during the 4th of July festivities in Roosevelt Park.

Make you voice heard in the neighborhood. Attend the Association meetings and bring a neighbor.