Eastwood Park Reporter

Minot, North Dakota

Est. 1991

May 1993

Vol 3, No 5

Eastwood Park Homes On Tour In June

One and all are invited to the 1993 Annual Tour of Homes in Eastwood Park on June 12, 1993 from 1 pm to 5 pm.

Once again, this year, there will be four Eastwood Park homes on the Tour. The Tour homes are the Robert and Mary Janicki home, 702 2nd Avenue, the Dave and Pat Lehner home, 122 8th Street, the Glenn and Luella Nermyr home, 207 7th Street, and the Jack and Fern Watkins home, 216 9th Street. St. Peter's Orthodox Church will be open for the Tour and refreshments will be served in the basement of the Church.

Some new additions to the Tour this year will be the Shan and Kathleen Cunningham Garden as well as the local antique car club Model A and Model T cars that will be parked around the neighborhood. The time of the Tour has not changed from last year but the date has been moved to June so that more flowers can be in bloom.

Tickets can be obtained at the Tour homes on the day of the Tour and in advance at Artistry Hairstylists, D's of Minot, Dakota Antiques, Hair By George, Home Sweet Home and Just One Look. We hope to see you on June 12, 1993.

St. Peter's Orthodox Church on 1993 Tour

The building housing St. Peter's Orthodox Church was built in 1911 as the Jewish Temple. It stood on the site of the current Temple Beth Israel, one-half block north of the Church's present site. Around 1930, the building was moved to its present site to make way for a larger Temple and was used as a Jewish Temple until construction was completed on the present Temple Beth Israel.

For a short time during the early 1930's, the building was used as the Gospel Tabernacle by the Assembly of God Pentecostal Church.

In 1934, the building was purchased by its present day owners. They made internal and external changes to the building to suit their needs. They added two Cupola towers to the front, stuccoed the exterior and added the stained glass windows. These changes gave the building a Byzantine architectural style.

One thing about this Orthodox Church building that differs from others is the fact that it is rectangular. Most Orthodox Churches are perfect shapes; such as square, circle, ship or star; or a cross.

In 1969, the building withstood the Flood of '69 but in 1970, there was a major fire in the building. Much work was done after these two catastrophes. One addition was a fireproof office added to the back of the building.

The building is only one aspect of St. Peter's Orthodox Church. In fact, the building is quite young compared to the Liturgy used by the Church which dates back to the 4th Century and has its roots in Old Testament worship.

The Church is graced with many icons, which depict the image and likeness of God in the saints represented. They serve to remind us of the lives these people led and are examples to the faithful of the Church of what Christ wants from them. For this reason, Fr. Bodnar says, they are venerated (not worshipped). The theology and meaning of icons is very interesting and Fr. Peter will discuss them and explain them to anyone who is interested.

At the present time, the Youth Group is working on a cook book that will contain 250 recipes many of which are of ethnic origin. It can be pre-ordered for $5.00 and may be available during the Tour for $6.00. If anyone would like to pre-order the cookbook, please call XXX-XXXX.

The 54th Annual Hellenic Picnic is scheduled for Sunday, June 20, 1993. Everyone is welcome.

Everyone is also invited to attend services at the Church Saturdays at 7:00 pm for Vesper Service and 10:00 am on Sundays for Divine Liturgy.

Lehner Home on 1993 Tour

The Dave and Pat Lehner home was built in 1910 by one of the foremost builders of that era, a gentleman by the name of P.J. Halla. His name is in the concrete sidewalk in the front of the house. The house is unique in the fact that is was built originally to be an old folks home.

The first time the house was sold, it went to a doctor in Minot. It was first sold for $250.00; $25.00 down and $25.00 per month until paid in full. The house was sold a few years later for the much higher price, $450.00; $50.00 down and $50.00 per month until paid in full.

By the early 1920's, the house had been converted to a multi-family dwelling or apartment house. At one time, this house had 4 apartments and 5 sleeping rooms. Two of the apartments were in the basement, two on the main floor and the five sleeping rooms were located on the top floor.

Perhaps the most notable tenant that lived here was a gentleman named Joe Welk, the cousin of Lawrence Welk. He lived in the sleeping room upstairs in front of the walk out windows in the big room. Lawrence Welk would stay with Joe when he came to Minot to play in the band shell at Roosevelt Park. Another tenant that lived here at the same time said that the band Lawrence Welk played in back then was not the best and he did not draw very large crowds at the park.

For a while, the house was owned by a Lutheran Church out of St. Paul, Minnesota. The owner of the house at that time became involved with this particular church. It appears that he deeded the house to the church on the stipulation that he could live there at no cost, but all rents went to the church for their building project in Minot. The building project was a church location on the corner of 6th Street and 1st Avenue SE. The furthest the church got in the construction was the basement level with the ceiling. Many may remember this structure as a basement apartment containing 3 separate units. The building was torn down during the fall of 1991. It is now a vacant lot next to St. Peter's Orthodox Church.

The house still has its original natural oak woodwork, leaded glass windows and a solid oak pocket door. Also, the brick in the dining room fireplace came from a quarry in Italy. The large closet doors in the rear of the house came from the carriage house that used to stand behind the house.
Dave and Pat furnished the house with antique furniture that has been passed down from generation to generation.

One of the unique features of the house is a 25,000 gallon cistern located below the house. The water from the ice room and rain collected in this cistern. The water was then pumped, by hand, up into a large metal tank in the attic. This provided gravity feed running water before the days of city water pressure.

Dave and Pat invite you to come see their home during the 1992 Tour of Homes in Eastwood Park.

Janicki Home on 1993 Tour

The home of Robert and Mary Janicki, 702 2nd Avenue SE, was built by Walter Bond in 1916. At the time, Bond was a prominent lumberman in the area and no expense was spared when it came to the woodwork in this Colonial Revival home.

There is birch wainscotting in the entry, on the stairs and in the dining room as well as birch pocket doors leading to the dining room. The main floor has oak hardwood floors and the second floor has maple hardwood floors. On the main level, much of the wood work is stained its natural color. The second floor is painted true to the tradition of a colonial home.

When the Bonds sold the house in 1927, it was to George and Helen Valker for $5,000.00. The Valkers moved into the house from 703 1st Avenue SE, also in Eastwood Park.

Mr. Valker, Mary Janicki's father, grew up in Wapheton, ND. At the age of 16, he went to Minneapolis to learn more about the flower trade. George moved to Minot in 1908 and started its first flower shop. He constructed a small greenhouse with the help of a bank loan. Later he built a larger greenhouse where Parkview Trailer Court is located today. Valker also spent 30 years on the Minot Park Board.

This house has seen few changes over the years. However, in 1948, the main floor sunroom, garage and a second floor sleeping porch were converted into an apartment unit.

In 1963, Robert and Mary Janicki moved back into Mary's childhood home.

Throughout the house, many family heirlooms remain. The oak dining table and chairs, a buffet and a curio cabinet in the dining room have hand carved grapes and grape leaves on each piece. The Valkers obtained the set when they were married in 1920. Their bedroom set is also in use in the master bedroom and was also bought in the 1920's.

There are also many pieces from Mary Janicki's aunt, Eva Hartnett, such as a bustle chair in the living room and a room lovingly called 'the Eva Hartnett Memorial Room' upstairs with much of Eva's bedroom furniture and a childhood picture of Eva herself.

Robert and Mary Janicki look forward to welcoming all of the Tour visitors to their home.

Planters Needed For False-Arch Bridge

The Association has decided to place eight planters on the the False-Arch Bridge to decorate it for the up-coming Tour of Homes.

The planters cost $36.00 each. Four planters have been donated already, but donations for the remaining four are needed. The donations are tax deductible.

For more information regarding the planters call Pete at XXX-XXXX.

Rummage Sale To Be Held

Anyone in the neighborhood who wishes to participate in the neighborhood Rummage Sale on Saturday and Sunday, May 15-16 can contribute $2.00 for the Minot Daily News classified ad and flyers. If you would like to participate, call Kay at XXX-XXXX by May 9th or drop off your name, address and $2.00 at 605 1st Avenue SE. We hope to have Rummage Sale signs again this year for participants.

People can be open on one or both days and can set their own hours. We will need a minimum of 10 participants to place the advertisement but we would love many more.

There was a request to change the date to the next weekend because of work conflicts with the Magic City Flea Market. However, at the last meeting of the Association, it was decided not to change the date.

Bridge Approved

The construction of the 2nd Avenue walk bridge between Roosevelt Park and Eastwood Park has been approved by the North Dakota Department of Transportation. Construction may begin as early as this summer, but it may not begin until next year.

Tour Help Needed

Volunteers are needed for the Tour homes and serving refreshments at the church for our 1993 Tour of Homes.

Bakers are also needed to make cookies and bars for our refreshment area in the Church.

To volunteer, call Kay at XXX-XXXX.

Donations Needed

The Domestic Violence Crisis Center needs many food and household items donated. Call XXX-XXXX to donate or to get their wish list.

River Clean-Up

Boats and Volunteers are needed June 5. Call Mark at XXX-XXXX