Eastwood Park Reporter

Minot, North Dakota

Est. 1991

December 1991

Vol 1, No 1

Eastwood Park Holds Holiday Festival

By Kay Cameron

Let's all get in the holiday spirit for the Eastwood Park Holiday Festival on December 15, 1991 from 4:30 to 7:30 pm. Mark it on the calendar! Tell a friend! Let's make this a success!

The hay ride will run from 4:30 to 7:30 starting at the Orthodox Church. The cost will be $1.00 per person with a maximum of $5.00 per family. Tickets will be sold at the church, the day of the festival. The highlights of the route will be the Christmas light displays and strolling carolers.

All are welcome to participate in the Christmas lights contest. Large and small displays are welcome. Judging of the lights will be at 7:00 on December 15. We are hoping to get Mayor Christianson, Judge Holum and Eastwood Park Aldermen to judge the lights. The winner will get their name on a traveling plaque to keep until the next year's contest.

Refreshments will be served in the Orthodox Church basement.

Keeping traffic down in Eastwood Park during the Holiday Festival is important. We are asking visitors to park on East Central Avenue near the Eastwood Park Bridge and use the bridge as the entrance. We would like residents of Eastwood Park to park off-street during the Festival.

The Early Days of Eastwood Park

Erik and Betsy Skaro sold the land to Robert Rowan, Sr. in February, 1892 for $1525.00. Little is known about Robert Rowan, Sr., except that he bought the land. On December 16, 1895, he sold the land to his wife, Jane, for $300.00, and on the same day, she mortgaged the land for $300.00, which she paid off in November 1896. In June 1897, she placed the property into both her husband's and her name. No one knows the real reason for this transfer, but it might have been because Robert did not have the credit to borrow the money.

In March, 1900, Robert and Jane Rowan sold the land to George W. Hecker for $3000.00. He was a real estate developer. Among the property that he owned was Sunnyside Addition and Hecker's Additions 1, 2 and 3. Hecker owned the land until August, 1905, when he was offered a deal he could not resist. The land he paid $3000.00 for in 1900, he sold for $50,000.00. This is a 1667% profit. In the deal, he sold lots in Sunnyside Addition, Hecker's Additions 1, 2 and 3 as well as the Eastwood Park land for 250,000 shares of Monarch Gold Mining Company valued at 50 cents per share. Monarch had a mine in Lewistown, Montana. The buyer, who served as Secretary for Monarch, was Frank L. Wilson.

Frank Wilson owned the land until November, 1905 when he sold it to Louis S. Champine for $20,000.00, a loss of $30,000.00. L.S. Champine was a partner in Mooney, Champine and Johnston, a real estate firm. Champine also gave first mortgage loans and was very involved in horse racing. He was the Secretary for the state racing association and the Ward County Fair. He played a big part in starting horse racing in Minot during the early 1900's.

On December 15, 1905, L.S. Champine sold a large part of the land to Rosa McLean, a single woman, for $8000.00. On the same day, Rosa McLean took out a $1500.00 loan plus a $300.00 loan at the same bank with the same notary public, L.S. Champine. But if that wasn't enough, Rosa McLean then sold the land back to L.S. Champine for $8000.00 on the same day. While most of the paperwork was filed within days of the transaction, Champine waited to file the deed transfering the property back into his name.

Meanwhile, George Hecker discovered something disturbing about Monarch Gold Mining Company. Not only was the gold mine `salted,' but the company itself didn't even exist. His 250,000 shares of stock which Frank Wilson had not yet delivered, were worthless. Frank Wilson and his partner, D.G. McKay, had swindled him. In early January, 1906, Hecker filed lawsuits against L.S. Champine and Rosa McLean charging that since no consideration had passed between himself and Wilson, Hecker, not Champine or McLean, owned the land.

On February 20, 1906, Champine finally filed the deed transfering the property from McLean back into his name. Two months later, on April 21, 1906, Hecker dropped his lawsuits against Champine and McLean. Two days later, probably as part of a deal, Champine transfered the property to Kalita E. Leighton, Hecker's attorney. In May, 1906, K.E. Leighton gave Hecker a 1/2 interest in the property.

Christmas Lights Wanted

The Eastwood Park Holiday Festival Committee invites everyone to brave the cold and set up a Christmas lights display. Not only will every display be eligible to win the Eastwood Park Lighting Contest, but they will also make the hay ride during the Festival more enjoyable.

Light up your display on the evening of December 14 so that the Festival Committee can drive through the neighborhood and set up the best hay ride route. The judging of the Lighting Contest will be during the Festival on December 15 from 4:30 to 7:30 pm. Good Luck!

EPHDN Association News

Turnout for the Eastwood Park Holiday Festival volunteer meeting was great. We have a lot of people interested in making this a successful venture. Anyone still wishing to volunteer or contribute can call Kay Cameron at XXX-XXXX.

The 2nd Annual Eastwood Park Tour of Homes has its fourth house, the Chiles home. The other homes already on the list are the Landseidel, Dennis and Cameron homes. The Synagogue will also be open for the tour.

There will be a meeting on Tuesday, December 17 at 7:00 pm in the Minot city council chambers to discuss the First Avenue NE bridge plans. This will be a meeting to air our concerns about the project. Attend the meeting and make your opinions known.

There is still time to get your recipes into the Eastwood Park Cookbook. Drop your recipes at the Cunninghams' mail slot at 106 7th Street SE. The cookbook is scheduled for a January printing.

Eastwood Park Improvements

Christine Kuntz, Minot Park Board's horticulturist, is writing a tree grant which could provide trees for boulevards in Eastwood Park at no cost to the residents.

The trees would be placed in Eastwood Park because it is located close to Roosevelt Park. A variety of trees would be planted as a example as to what different trees do.

The grant is tentative. More information will be available in 1992.

Meanwhile, the condemned building at 600 1st Avenue SE was torn down before Thanksgiving. The empty lot is a great improvement. What is next for this lot?

A Walk Around Eastwood Park

By Steven Cameron

People are moving to Eastwood Park because we have a homeowners' association. The association could affect what city hall decides on the First Avenue bridge. Eastwood Park may receive money and other benefits simply because we have a homeowner's association.

The advantages of our Eastwood Park Historic District Neighborhood Association are becoming apparent. But we all must become involved. We will publish the Association's meeting dates so please attend the meetings or contact its officers, LeAnn Derby, Pete Hugret, Jacque Younger, or Bruce Knutson. Be involved!

Kids' Korner

On Christmas, a house is bright. With one light, it is bright as a flower.
-- Nicole Keene, 1st Grade.

On Christmas night, all was dark except for one little red light. It was Santa's light. He was coming to my house. I hurried to get to bed because Santa was coming to my house. The next morning, he brought me a black and white cat. The End.
-- Lindsy Okland, 1st Grade.

Have a good, merry Christmas. This story is about Rudolph. He had a very red nose. Most of the people laughed at Rudolph. Rudolph did not like it so Rudolph ran away and lived very fine.
-- Amanda Jewell, 1st Grade.

Miss Sadie Says...

Welcome to Tim and Lonie Hyatt at 319 10th Street SE.

Merry Christmas!